Saturday, June 4, 2016

Good morning gotham

6/04/2016
Morning everyone, it is a wonderful June morning here where I live, NYC.
I know many of you out there are most likely thinking,wow, it is pretty oxymoronic that of all places a hillbilly traveler could be living, New York is probably the last place you expect a person like me to be living. And you are all right, because a lot of the time, I am shocked by this fact myself. I can assure you that when I was a small youngin running around the creeks,hollers and woods of my dad's 80 acre farm, I was not thinking about an alien world full of skyscrapers, honking cars, and generally angry people. I was much more interested in catching crawdads, and letting the dirt get between my toes. Which I still generally prefer to do even now. I guess like many hillbilly's before me, and like many who will follow in my footsteps, I am an economic refugee. We Appalachian mountain people have been a significant portion of the population of major American urban centers for decades,  everywhere from Detroit to Atlanta. And what has drawn us out of our mountain hollers away from our families and significant family social structures have all boiled down to one thing: JOBS. In my particular case however, this explanation will require much more in depth explaining, which I may eventually get around to, but maybe not also. I digress, despite what has brought me to this place in life, and this city, I am currently, at this very minute, happy. Despite the fact that I only slept about 3 hours last night, as well I am currently at work right now. Oh well, my motto for the day is Carpe Diem! Sieze the day...I am well on my way. I'm listening to a mix of Bruce Springsteen and the Rolling Stones, which if that doesn't put one into a good mood I'm not sure what will. I will write more in a bit. I think eventually I might decide to expound a little more on the idea of the positive role Appalachian people have played in urban America, but we shall see won't we?

No comments:

Post a Comment